Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Golden Gate Park: Trees don't need no introductions (Week 04)


San Francisco is home to one of the largest city parks in the nation,  Golden Gate Park. It is very easy to just wander around the park with no purpose but enjoyment, and trust me it will be enjoyed. However in my visit to the park, I was trying to find different things that were given to me on a scavenger hunt list. 

Though wander through the park is easy, find your way around to specific locations, was a little difficult. We struggled through the dense forest that deceives you with its natural beauty, but was actually planted in this plot of land that once was...sand. It wasn't until we recognized the landscape of the flower conservatory that we finally made progress with the hunt. 

Finally I understand what it means to "read the landscape. In fact the whole journey through the park was lead by our reading of the landscape and the buildings we recognized. I was also so in awe of the nature and the beauty of the trees and how they twisted, I felt they acted as signs that told a story about the park. 

Although I did admire the beautiful sculpting of the statues and art pieces, the vandalism really destroys the importance of it. For example when I looked at one angle of this monumental statue(see in pictures below) I thought to myself, wow this man must have been a legend. Then you look at the other side of this "monumental statue" and simple words of mockery destroyed this vision I had of power and superiority that the art piece carries. Thats when I thought of McLaren and why he didn't want to be portrayed in that manner and it was a different perspective but I still respected it. 

The statues may be beautifully crafted, and the signs could be scattered in ever inch of the park, however McLaren is very right when it comes to the landscape. The landscape and nature of the park truly creates a sense of place and tell stories you don't need words for. 












                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment