Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Haight Ashbury (week 03)

Haight and Ashbury is the most famous cross street known to San Francisco. The Haight district is the epitome of the hippie age, it holds so much history and art. The art in this area is what draws the people to it. The art is loud, vibrant and speaks to you sometimes it can be dull and holding no message, but still nice to look at. Through my journey in the Haight district I tried to capture a different perspective of the neighborhood.

Back in the 60's Haight and Ashbury was over populated with hippies, drug use and art making. It carries a lot of history and today's capitalist world have successfully managed to take advantage of that attraction point. Shopping in the Haight is very popular and there were so many signs to helped me see that. The clothes that are sold however also act as signs, and symbols of the area.

The doors in this neighborhood weren't just signs but a banner for signs. As I walked through the area trying to capture signs I noticed a lot were plastered on doors. On each door was some form of sign, some telling you what to do others not asking anything from you. Whether the signs were informative or not, I felt doors had a sense of importance in a sense that they kept the area in tact.

Some may say Haight and Ashbury is the counterculture, which means the opposite of whats mainstream and normal in the city. However I beg to differ, I think that the Haight district is the epitome of San Francisco's culture.

Tourists come to Haight and Ashbury and point out its crazy psychedelic signage and art pieces. There is a lot of that but I enjoyed capturing this professional angle of the Haight area where the signage is relevant and meaningful as well as vibrant and beautiful.













1 comment:

  1. Photography! Your images are intriguing and thoughtful.
    I appreciate your definition of counter culture and unique perspective.

    ReplyDelete